Re: [ga] List censorship and publications

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] List censorship and publications
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 06:00:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

--- On Thu, 9/24/09, Elisabeth Porteneuve wrote:
> There is no censorship, but very inconvenient rule, that GA
> archives do not update immediately, but a couple of hours
> later (2 or 4, do not remember).
> I do not know why Kent did it, neither his explanation why,
> it was very inconvenient for me at that time and still is. I

You're absolute right, Elisabeth. That multiple hour delay doesn't take place
on other ICANN-managed mailing list archives, for example the public BC mailing
list archive at:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/bc-gnso/

(the lag is perhaps 15 minutes for that one, the length of a cron job probably)

It would probably be a simple matter to fix this issue by adjusting the
settings in Mhonarc (the archiving program, see www.mhonarc.org ) or cron. They
might also want to look into providing RSS feeds for the mailing list archives
(e.g. do a search for "mhonarc rss") or find a way to unify all mailing lists
under Drupal (used by the ICANN.org website) so that we eventually have a
single unified login/userid for all ICANN-related work (mailing lists, message
boards, wikis, Adobe stuff, etc. etc.).

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.leap.com/