[ga] Appeals court reverses dismissal of VeriSign anti-trust case!

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Appeals court reverses dismissal of VeriSign anti-trust case!
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 15:36:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,

Any day that VeriSign feels pain is a good day for domain name registrants
suffering from its abusive monopoly. See more at:

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_12528570
http://www.domainstate.com/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=100435

We must temper our expectations, though, as VeriSign has some of the best
lawyers in the world fighting for it. But, we've long felt that the contract
was anti-competitive, so it's great that the appeals court recognized that the
case pleadings were proper, the case should not have been dismissed, and that
the case can proceed.

The discovery of documents and depositions of witnesses (perhaps
including those at ICANN involved in the anti-competitive contracts)
will at least provide entertainment value. :) And perhaps with a bit
of luck, we might see a tender process for .com/net AND other gTLDs
(including .org), something we've long advocated.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.leap.com/