Re: [ga] List Rules, moderator and chair

  • To: "ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] List Rules, moderator and chair
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 02:32:55 -0700

George and all,

  Well this seems rather dreconian at best.  Opting-in in most
constituencies means signing or agreeing to what in effect
is a loyality oath which in some cases requires that you give
up some of your rights as a citizen.  Such membership requirements
is one of the huge reasons why ICANN has not yet met the
full requirements of the MOU and as such have not yet passed
the bar for the JPA.  My guess is that what  your proposing will
meet with serious contention and perhaps legal action accordingly.
As ICANN is already under some pressure in respect to .XXX
law suit, it would seem unwise for then to even appear to attract
yet another.

George Kirikos wrote:

> Hello,
>
> --- On Wed, 4/8/09, Michele Neylon :: Blacknight <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > And how are you going to check if people are members of
> > consituencies??
> >
> > Just curious ...
>
> I would initially purge everyone who wasn't "obviously" in a constituency
> (e.g. those who are registrars, registries, on GNSO council, ICANN staff,
> ICANN board, former ICANN board, etc. would not be purged). Then, I'd reach
> out to a contact from each constituency who could then forward from time to
> time a list of people who wanted to opt-in to the new and improved GA list.
>
> But, it would be better if there was just a brand new list created, and folks
> could opt-in to it via their constituency leaders (i.e. by sending a list of
> new subscribers to Glen or someone else from time to time). This is done all
> the time for task forces, see:

> for a list of all the current (and past) mailing lists kept by the GNSO.
>
> Unsubscribing from the new list could be automated. But, subscribing would be
> manual (or access to activate new subscribers restricted to leaders of
> constituencies). It wouldn't be too hard to create such a new list. Then,
> folks would have a choice, and I suspect a lot of folks given that choice
> would unsubscribe from this one and choose the other list, as a true cross
> constituency mailing list would have a far better signal-to-noise ratio.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> George Kirikos
> http://www.leap.com/

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827