[ga] Re: [RAA-WG] [At-Large] Open letter to ICANN

  • To: At-Large Worldwide <at-large@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxx>, GA <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: [RAA-WG] [At-Large] Open letter to ICANN
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 06:53:00 -0700 (PDT)

Vittorios points are well reasoned and sound,

Laws are laws. In the late 90's a bunch of IP lawyers went around trying to
convince judges that the existing laws did or did not apply to the internet.
Everything from expanding trademark to a new category of "any and all use of
the word 'king' is protected"(because burger king) to insisting they could drag
me to a state I had never heard of before because I posted something that could
be seen there. (long arm statute hell - these guys insisted on a long galaxy
jurisdiction statute). Most judges were smart enough to bide their time and
wait for the UDRP and anticyberusing statutes.

If we learned anything during the WHOIS work here, it was; Be of assistance but
do not do police work. Establish policies that, the violation thereof, is
probable cause for the coppers.
But don't go around enforcing the law, or invading privacy without warrant.

The laws 3, civil, criminal and administrative are there already and have been
for decades and will continue to slowly and with prudence keep pace.

If you see horrendous violations, get all over it like a cheap suit, netizen
vigilance is our best weapon against the evils that lurk in womens minds(i
guess men and children also).

As for perception. ICANN needs to stop reacting and pandering. It is old enough
now to stand for what is right. It is through the trudging and taking on tough
issues that it gains respect. We(and I use the word intentionally as we are all
part - especially here, in the GA and RAA-WG where we labor without cudo)
cannot expect or even respect perfection. But all netizens respect diligence
and caring and trying.

Your bringing your issue to light and I hope continuing to loudly and
aggressively speak out against such abuse is what makes this "system"? work.
How you are treated is what gives it respect.