[ga] New Senate Bill Proposes Mandatory Security Standards and Certifications

  • To: Ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] New Senate Bill Proposes Mandatory Security Standards and Certifications
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 20:25:24 -0700

All,

I have always thought that security professionals had been
professionalized for decades?  I know I am. Perhaps
this is another April fools joke?

See:
(1st April 2009)
A new bill, sponsored by Senators John D. Rockefeller IV and Olympia J
Snowe, would see the introduction of a new cyber security czar, the
National Cybersecurity Advisor, who would report directly to the White
House.  Included in the bill is the granting of authority to the
National Cybersecurity Advisor to isolate computer networks that are
part of the critical network infrastructure, including those in the
private sector, should there be a cyber attack.  The bill would also see

the introduction of mandatory security standards, developed by the
National Institute of Standards and Technology, applied to both private
and public sector organizations that control parts of the critical
network infrastructure. Included in the bill is the proposal that a
licensing and certification program be introduced for cyber security
professionals.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/31/AR2009033103684.html

http://fcw.com/Articles/2009/04/01/Web-cybersecurity-bill.aspx
http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2239646/plans-national-cybersecurity
http://lastwatchdog.com/senate-bill-mandates-strong-federal-role-internet/

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827