Re: [ga] [Fwd: Re: Susan Crawford :::: a reason to give it anothergo??

  • To: hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx, icann board <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, ICANN Policy staff <policy-staff@xxxxxxxxx>, Peter Dengate Thrush <barrister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] [Fwd: Re: Susan Crawford :::: a reason to give it anothergo??
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 22:59:54 -0700

Eric and all,

  I see and understand you larger point and agree.  It is indeed true
that unless you are a "ICANN member" whatever that actually is
or means, your input is largely but not entirely diminished if not
entirely ignored accordingly.  This leaves the vast majority of
stakeholders, most especially independent Domain Name
holders and common users shut out of the process or extremely
limited in ongoing participation in various ICANN created
venues such as the NARALO or the ALAC.  This leaves
only the GA for such participation, which is not an official ICANN
entity nor has a vote on the Bod or the GNSO.  Such hardly is
representative or in keeping with the MOU.

  As you know Eric, Susan is and has been in the past fully aware
of the lack of public participation and the efforts however indirect,
have been thwarted or outright denied for whatever reason.  Hence
my skeptitism of Susan's addition to the Admin's. team in being
considerate of same.

Hugh Dierker wrote:

> Clearly there was jesting regarding friends and enemies. I generally have
> neither.But after
  nearly a decade on this list, oldtimers do seem like old family friends. My
reference to
  Domainers and engineers was meant to be in the abstract of positions that are
polar and result
  in personal arguments as opposed resolving issues by compromising and moving
forward. The only
  thing I see in this new admin are either well weathered politicians of
academics.(a bit on
  peppies preppies and ICANN evals in another post)But at least they will see
what is going on
  ---- What they do, well perhaps we should try to influence. Although as we
discussed, we have
  never seen ICANN actually influenced by public input.But again we hope maybe
the admin will.