Re: [ga] ICANN Budget & Travel Funding

  • To: dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN Budget & Travel Funding
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 14:48:45 -0800

Danny and all,

  As usual this Budget documentation is very short of specifics.  So
it is therefore difficult to evaluate to any degree of accuracy or
certainty whether of not either the expenses are too high or low,
and it seems to me that the income for a non-profit corporation
is far too high.  As such ICANN desperately needs a haircut in that
reducing registration and other fees certainly need to be reduced
dramatically.  Reduction dramatically of travel funding would also
be in order as well.  Travel expenses should ONLY be provided to
ICANN staff, Bod members, and GNSO council members.  Constituencies
need to provide for their own funding for whomever they choose to send
to meetings.  Everyone else needs to provide for their own travel expenses.

Danny Younger wrote:

> "The revenue forecast for FY10 is $67.6 million (11.5% increase from FY09
> budget) and operating expenses are forecast at $54.3 million (4.9% increases
> from FY09 budget)."
>
> Meanwhile, "ICANN funds limited travel support for certain stakeholders who
> provide leadership and productivity to the volunteer community of ICANN. The
> proposed FY10 budget is $1.47 million and is essentially flat with the FY09
> budget. Discussions with the community on size and administration of this
> resource are continuing."
>
> http://www.icann.org/en/planning/ops-budget-framework-10-en.pdf

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827