[ga] CRAI MDR meeting

  • To: ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] CRAI MDR meeting
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 16:54:59 -0800 (PST)

Well I confirmed a few conceptions regarding this process in MDR.

"Staff" are very nice, seemingly professional and their only dilemmas faced are
regarding how best to keep their jobs. If doing the right thing was ever
remotely considered they hid it with the talent of a master spy. Honesty as
opposed to diplomacy is clearly not in their lexicon. Again though they are
very nice, bright and "helpful".

Those with an motivation to speak were so clearly self promoting that it could
have been irritating if not so satirically humorous. I have neither read nor
heard anyone whose interest in the process is "so it will work". It is all
about who will benefit from doing it one way or the other. I know that a
brainchild conceived in such an environment is destined to fail or do evil.

All this egotistical self interest is wonderful and why not? However doing the
right thing for the sake of doing the right thing is further away from their
reality than the onetime planet Pluto (which was discovered in my hometown of
Flagstaff by Perciful Lowell -- actually he did not discover it so much as
prove it's existence. Relevant because we will not discover societal best
interest in ICANN but someone may surprise us and prove it exists) is from
Earth.

I like those who propose that they speak with some kind of historical,
intellectual and educational authority. Because you can immediately discount
what they are trying to convince you of and instantaneously recognize their
benefit if things go their way.

Perhaps the system can change and develop processes that will combine to create
consensus of what is right. But probably our only hope is if the people change.
(however you chose to read that)

Eric