[ga] Re: NTIA/DoC and DoJ bitch slap ICANN over new gTLDs!!!

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Re: NTIA/DoC and DoJ bitch slap ICANN over new gTLDs!!!
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 14:13:10 -0800 (PST)

Hi again,

Just to followup, the US government has totally vindicated those who've
opposed ICANN's brain damaged attempts to introduce new gTLDs. Some apt
quotes from the letter:

"Contrary to ICANN's apparent assumption" (page 4) is a diplomatic way
of saying "ICANN has it completely wrong"

"ICANN's general approach to new gTLDs should be revised to give
greater consideration to consumer interests." (page 5) is yet another
diplomatic way of saying that ICANN has been captured by registry
interests, and has failed its mission.

All their other comments like price caps should have been obvious,
tender processes, elimination of presumptive renewal etc. were things
that people have been trying to tell ICANN for years.

ICANN ignores this at their peril. Now is the perfect time for ICANN's
Board to fire the incompetent staff who generated these documents, as
we suggested in our posted comments. And ICANN's Board better watch
their step too ---- there's no assurance that their JPA will ever be
renewed, if they keep making such major mistakes in the future.

I look forward to seeing a much leaner and humbler ICANN in 2009, as a
result of this spanking by the US government, one that listens to
consumers and not just registry operators. This is not something their
PR department can "spin", but should be a humiliating defeat of their
management. The honourable course would be for the responsible
individuals to tender their resignations, but firings for cause
(without severance pay) are fine with me. For ICANN to regain the
confidence of those in the community, it's time that they clean house,
and admit their failure.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.leap.com/