RE: SV: [governance] Re: [ga] Re: [ga] ICANN presents misleadingblackline

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: SV: [governance] Re: [ga] Re: [ga] ICANN presents misleadingblackline
  • From: "Karl E. Peters" <tlda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 16:53:51 -0700

font-size:10pt;"><FONT style="COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: " face=Verdana
color=#000000 size=2>
<DIV>Mr. Williams,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I don't know where you get the time to monitor and
respond to so much in so many places, but thanks. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Were it the goal, still, to change ICANN, you are
absolutely right. It is a foregone conclusion that their intent will remain the
same. That does not mean that anyone will necessarily care about their intent
in the future, though, when they leave the protection of mother government and
try to do things on their own popularity. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I believe they are changing the one thing we need
them to change to make them irrelevant in the future, and that is to step out
from under the eaves of the government roof&nbsp;and feel the rain on their
heads for perhaps the first time; people just walking away from them for
greener pastures. They can make all the determinations and policies they wish
with their root and some people, the less informed, will continue to play their
game to get a new TLD&nbsp;on the internet. Most, though, when the fog clears,
will see a completely viable alternative to the master / slave relationship
ICANN holds with its TLD registrants. The other roots will be ready to handle
them and help them&nbsp;sell their SLDs and provide quite ample technicals to
sustain them as the market edges that way.&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Reason has already been tried... and failed with
ICANN. We gave it our best efforts now for years. It is time to leave them
behind to manage their empire while it lasts while we build a new multi-root
system that prevents collisions and allow freedom of choice on the root level
and then, freedom of choice for the end user to choose the root best suited for
them.&nbsp;ICANN is&nbsp;like the proverbial&nbsp;man trying to grasp al the
sand in&nbsp;one hand, and fearing loss, grip tighter and tighter, forcing more
and more of the sand from their ever smaller and strangling grasp.&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;The day is fast approaching when the internet can
be free again, and work!</DIV>
<DIV>Sincerely yours,</DIV>
<DIV>Karl E. Peters, President</DIV>
<DIV>Top-Level Domain Association, Inc.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 8px;
BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px solid; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: verdana" webmail="1">
<DIV>-------- Original Message --------<BR>Subject: Re: SV: [governance] Re:
[ga] Re: [ga] ICANN presents <BR>misleadingblackline<BR>From: "Jeffrey A.
Williams" &lt;jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Date: Sun, December 07, 2008 7:15
pm<BR>To: governance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Karl E. Peters"
&lt;kpeters@xxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Cc: "Dr. Joe Baptista"
&lt;baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR><BR>Karl and all,<BR><BR>Good answer Karl.
Unfortunately, as you all too well know, ICANN<BR>has decidedly for year now
been against other root structures and has<BR>done whatever it could, even to
the point of hijacking existing TLD's<BR>already up an running on other root
structures ( .BIZ as well known<BR>and well documented example) and
additionally demonstrated as<BR>well as articulated that as a public service
company, is unwilling to<BR>share or inter operate with any other root
structures. As such, it is<BR>or has become clear, and in my as well as your
opinion that some<BR>governmental pressure or perhaps complement is needed to
impress<BR>upon ICANN the error in it's various ways....<BR><BR>"Karl E.
Peters" wrote:<BR><BR>&gt; (I took the liberty of joining your list discussion
as I feel you are<BR>&gt; taking on very important issues and I would like to
be available to<BR>&gt; you to address some of these issues from the TLDA
perspective. -Karl<BR>&gt; E. Peters) Dear Mr. Kleinwachter, Thank you first of
all, for your<BR>&gt; response and question. In my opinion, though others may
vary, the<BR>&gt; greatest good to come from the changes I outlined below
(still<BR>&gt; attached) is a relaxation in the minds of many ISPs and
individual end<BR>&gt; users that they must carry the "official" line, the
ICANN root or<BR>&gt; perhaps some other government's root. This opens up the
possibility of<BR>&gt; many more and varied TLDs from which to choose, or even
initiate, for<BR>&gt; their particular interests or needs. With such an
opening, investors<BR>&gt; that have been standing on the sideline with regard
to other roots and<BR>&gt; TLDs will be secure in adding infrastructure to the
"up and coming"<BR>&gt; root systems that offer the most "Inclusive NameSpace"
to handle more<BR>&gt; and more traffic. The greater traffic will enable and
encourage<BR>&gt; further investment in a diverse and free internet community.
It<BR>&gt; becomes a self-perpetuating growth environment where everyone
will<BR>&gt; gain. Already, there is a very strong registrar system tested
and<BR>&gt; ready to go online for handling the move into the new frontier.
(Other<BR>&gt; registrars wishing to join the move are welcomed, and with far
fewer<BR>&gt; strings than now exist under ICANN.) There has not generally
been<BR>&gt; any technical lacking on the part of the non-governmental roots,
just<BR>&gt; a lack of traffic and thereby, long-term investment needed to
keep<BR>&gt; them growing with the internet itself. When there is no longer
the<BR>&gt; perception that there is one superior root and many pretenders
(many<BR>&gt; users don't even know there is more than one!!!), but rather
many<BR>&gt; roots from which to choose, either on the ISP level or the
end-user<BR>&gt; level, known and interested investors will provide the funds
to spread<BR>&gt; the word and educate the public to their choices. As you must
know,<BR>&gt; but few end users know, you can change your DNS choices on
the<BR>&gt; personal computer level and not be dependant on your ISP's
foresight.<BR>&gt; Much like a battle between an original cable TV carrier in
an area and<BR>&gt; an upstart that carries more channels for the same price,
the people<BR>&gt; may not immediately see a need for the additional channels,
but when<BR>&gt; they cost no more, why not give them a try. Generally
speaking, once<BR>&gt; people get used to having more, they will always demand
it.<BR>&gt; Incidentally, the TLDA, Inc. has no plan to operate a new root,
but<BR>&gt; rather to foster a more conducive atmosphere for the operation of
the<BR>&gt; TLD operators that make up our body and for whom we advocate. We
would<BR>&gt; perform more as an internet "Chamber of Commerce" than as a
competing<BR>&gt; business. As part of our advocacy, though, we would require
high<BR>&gt; operational and ethical standards for those wishing to be listed
in<BR>&gt; our recommended list and then aggressively promote the entire
industry<BR>&gt; around the world. Thank you again for the opportunity to
address<BR>&gt; your question. Please feel free to contact me anytime with
further<BR>&gt; thoughts or concerns at kpeters@tldainc.orgor my telephone
(912)<BR>&gt; 638-1638. Ich Spreche ein bichen Deutsch, aber nicht gut. (I
studied<BR>&gt; one year when I was 15!) Mandarin Chinese is my best second
language.<BR>&gt; I used to write the English language news for Shanghai
TV<BR>&gt; station. Karl E. Peters, PresidentTop Level Domain
Association,<BR>&gt; Inc. </DIV>