Re: [ga] DN TLD Allocation Implementation Processes

  • To: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>, "mail=ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] DN TLD Allocation Implementation Processes
  • From: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 01:38:24 +0200

I am afraid the http://icann.org/en/topics/idn pages includes wrong wording. It says: "Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) are domain names represented by local language characters. Such domain names could contain letters or characters from non-ASCII scripts (for example, Arabic or Chinese). Many efforts are ongoing in the Internet community to make domain names available in character sets other than ASCII."

It should read something like:

"Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) are ASCII domain names the labels of which can algorithmly be associated to non English context non ASCII labels that could contain letters or characters from non-ASCII scripts (for example, Arabic or Chinese). Other efforts are ongoing in the Internet community to make domain names available in character sets other than ASCII in an English context."

In particular, I am not sure of the meaning of "_local_ language".
jfc