Re: [ga] Karl, Danny, George, JFC and the At Large domain name

  • To: Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Karl, Danny, George, JFC and the At Large domain name
  • From: Elmar Knipp <Elmar.Knipp@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 18:18:11 +0200 (MESZ)

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Richard Henderson wrote:

A number of years ago I had very much hoped to see the at large movement become a really self-determining worldwide expression of internet users, rather than the sham that ICANN created which in my view was designed from the outset to keep out individual users except in a token sense when attached to some of the few groups ICANN attracted.

Keep out individual users? ICANN is spending a huge amount of money to attract the At-Large. See for example the budget 09 which states:

   "This budget also includes amounts for the At-Large Summit,
   and an amount for community travel support which together
   total about $1MM in incremental expenses."

I am far away to bless all behaviour and actions of ICANN. But ignorant bashing as your statement above will put you in the same corner as the professional permanent grumbler which calls himself Jeffrey A. Williams and simply is ignored by the community.

Elmar