[ga] Re: Details of DNS Flaw Leaked; Exploit Expected by End of Today

  • To: "Prophet Partners Inc." <Domains@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: Details of DNS Flaw Leaked; Exploit Expected by End of Today
  • From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:37:53 +0200

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 12:40:04AM -0400,
 Prophet Partners Inc. <Domains@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 93 lines which said:

> If ICANN hasn't done so already,

AFAIK, ICANN did nothing. Are you sure that the security and stability
of the Internet are within its mandate?

> it would be wise to immediately notify all ICANN registries and
> registrars about the exploit and the urgency to implement the
> security patches.

I hope that the ".com" registry and its registrars do not rely on
ICANN for timely information about stability and security risks :-)

(Remember that the vulnerability is on resolvers, anyway, so
registries typically have nothing to do, except warning their local
Internet community, something that all major ccTLD did two weeks ago.)

The problem is not within the big and serious organizations but in the
myriad of small businesses (ISP and end clients alike) which are
typically quite clueless (see the attached message for an example).