Re: [ga] Re: .info Abuse Policy as a "New Service" might be barred by ICANN's agreement with Afilias

  • To: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: .info Abuse Policy as a "New Service" might be barred by ICANN's agreement with Afilias
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 12:12:41 -0700

George and all,

  Your correct on your analysis and conclusion IMHO.  FWIW
though, it is clear that ICANN cannot or will not do the oversight
of it's registrars, or for that matter registries and indeed may prefer to
defer those duties and responsibilities back to the Registrar and/or
Registry.  Ergo a circular round-robbin endless dysfunctional self
regulation methodology.  LEA's at various levels are not wanted
by ICANN nor Registrars and Registires for obvious and some
nefarious reasons which many of us are all too well aware of or
have personally experienced.

  Just as frankly however, LEA's don't seem to be able to properly,
securely or reasonably manage their own Domain Names either as
recent GAO reports and breaches that have been reported clearly
demonstrate.  ( I can easily provide many examples if requested )

  Given Afilias's history, IMO it's long past time to dis-accredit
Affilias as a registry.  They can't even "Police" their own domain
name's DNS or web site, let alone serve as defacto police of their
registrants. They also seem to have serious problems in their DNS
services for other domain names despite their BS marketing jargon.
I consider Afilias a significant infrastructure security risk of
significant
proportion.

George Kirikos wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I forgot to add, that paragraph 3.1.(b)(iv)(F) of the agreement dealing
> with Consensus Policies specifically mentions:
>
> http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/info/registry-agmt-08dec06.htm
>
> "(F)resolution of disputes regarding whether particular parties may
> register or maintain registration of particular domain names."
>
> An allegation of abuse, affecting whether a particular party may
> maintain a registration of a domain name, clearly falls under that
> description above.
>
> Furthermore the last section of 3.6.5 of the appendix (i.e.
> registry-registrar agreement) says:
>
> http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/info/appendix-08-08dec06.htm
>
> "Afilias also reserves the right to place upon registry lock, hold or
> similar status a domain name during resolution of a dispute."
>
> I would suggest that again an allegation of "abuse" is equivalent to a
> "dispute" in the above language, and that does not permit cancellation,
> but only registry lock, hold or similar status. 3.6.5 puts law
> enforcement and government (and courts) above the registry operator.
> This new proposal makes the registry operator become the policeman, the
> prosecution, judge, jury and executioner.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> George Kirikos
> http://www.kirikos.com/
>
> --- George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > According to paragraph 3.1.(d)(iii) of the .info agreement:
> >
> > http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/info/registry-agmt-08dec06.htm
> >
> > "(c) any other products or services that only a registry operator is
> > capable of providing, by reason of its designation as the registry
> > operator;
> >
> > Obviously the registrar is currently *equally* capable of cancelling
> > or
> > removing a domain name from the zone file, and handling abuse issues.
> > So *by definition* this can't be a product or service that only the
> > registry operator is capable of providing.
> >
> > Furthermore, 3.1.(d)(iv)(G) provides specific definitions of
> > "Security"
> > and "Stability" that I do not believe are met by this proposal.
> >
> > I believe the proper course forward is for Afilias to cancel its
> > proposal as a "new service", and instead propose a Consensus Policy
> > for
> > review by the GNSO Council. I would invite them to do so, as I'm
> > against abuse. Through a Consensus Policy we can ensure that the
> > rights
> > of registrants to due process will be protected through input from
> > all
> > constituencies, and ensure that a policy that has proportionality and
> > predictability is created.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > George Kirikos
> > http://www.kirikos.com/

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827