Re: [ga] Stupidity not far off topic

  • To: Tom Evans <fromtomevans@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Stupidity not far off topic
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 00:24:11 -0700

Tom and all,

  Well this is both a good idea and a bad one.  What is and has
been happening in my home state, and elsewhere, is that PC repair
folks are snooping folks PC's when they are taken in for repair and than
playing "Sam Spade" as though they were qualified as trained
forensic experts, which most are not causing many false investigations
by Texas LEA's that take up valuable time and resources of police
departments.  Ergo why this bill was floated and passed.

  The bad side is that this legislation doesn't really address the
problem adequately as it was poorly drafted and is far to subjective.
Hence why it is being challenged in court.  My guess is that it will
be thrown out as unconstitutional under the Texas State constitution.
Texas small business is very much against this legislation.

  As for sysadmins perhaps being next in Texas, I am not sure it
will be coming all that soon, but something needs to be done regarding
sysadmins as many that are hired, like ICANN's, are so ill trained
on not trained at all, that they pose a significant danger.  As a long
ago sysadmin myself, I can attest to working with new hires as sysadmins
that were totally untrained, but were hired cheep.

Tom Evans wrote:

> New Texas Law Limits Computer Repair To Licensed Private Investigators
> Institute for Justice Texas Chapter Opens in Austin with Challenge to Statute
>
> (snip from article...sysadmins next?)
> Under the new law enacted in 2007, Texas has put computer repair shops
> on notice that they had better watch their backs any time they work on
> a computer.  If a computer repair technician without a
> government-issued private investigator's license takes any actions
> that the government deems to be an "investigation," they may be
> subject to criminal penalties of up to one year in jail and a $4,000
> fine, as well as civil penalties of up to $10,000.
>
> http://www.ij.org/first_amendment/tx_computer_repair/6_26_08pr.html

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827