Re: [ga] Potential Danger Ahead for Registrants -- dot-info Abusive Domain Use Policy

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Potential Danger Ahead for Registrants -- dot-info Abusive Domain Use Policy
  • From: sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:57:53 -0700 (PDT)

George Kirikos wrote:
> "Pursuant to Section 3.6.5 of the RRA, Afilias reserves the right to
> deny, **cancel** or transfer any registration or transaction, or place
> any domain name(s) on registry lock, hold or similar status, that it
> deems necessary, **in its discretion**;........"
>
> (emphasis added)
>
> I would be against giving VeriSign (if the model was copied to .com)
> that discretionary power over my company's domains, especially the
> "right to cancel." What exactly is "illegal"? In China, I'm sure there
> are many things that are illegal that are perfectly legal in Canada,
> the USA or the EU. Suppose a domain name gets hacked for a brief time,
> and is temporarily used to serve up spam or malware, etc. That company
> experiencing bad luck, having their site hacked, can then be put
> totally out of business in the event that the registry operator, "in
> its discretion," decides to cancel the domain name.

But George, this is another potential revenue stream for Verisign (and
other) shareholders... Just imagine the auctions they are dreaming of
holding for coveted/desirable names which they will expropriate like the
looters they are!? Man oh man, even the Communists in Soviet Russia were
not this bad... What a sorry state of affairs when schemes like this crap
are given due consideration by the "powers that be". But, I guess that's
what happens when you've backed yourself into a corner based on short-term
thinking and profit. Look at history, the last official act of any ruling
class or organization is to loot their own 'host' populations.

Sotiris Sotiropoulos