Re: [ga] DNS Root-Level Pollution

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] DNS Root-Level Pollution
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:55:55 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Danny and all,

  Your exactly right here.  This continues to be a problem that has
yet to be properly addressed and is difficult to address as well.
I believe this was first noticed by David Conrad, than Dr. Joe B.,
Paul Vixe and myself in 2003.  It's clear that ICANN nor the IANA
has addressed this problem effectively, if at all, and are seemingly
unlikely to do so in any meaningful manner in the near term.

  Methods of addressing this problem can be addressed by the
Root server operators rather easily by denying Root server queries
if traffic to those Root servers becomes excessive by any one
party.  Redundancy in Name server definition and proper Cache
maintanance as a requirement by Domain Name holders as a matter
of registration contract requirement would also be helpful IF the
registries in particular are willing, as they should, to manage
their Registrant's appropriately.  Take down proceedures may
be necessary for Errant Registrants and Registries that fail
in their responsibility to ensure proper name server redundancy,
and/or cache managment is conducted.