[ga] DNS Root-Level Pollution

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] DNS Root-Level Pollution
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:14:30 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.caida.org/research/dns/roottraffic/comparison06_07.xml

Interesting CAIDA study, especially regarding some of the conclusions cited
below:

"The proportion of invalid traffic, i.e., DNS pollution, hitting the roots is
still high, over 99% of the queries should not even be sent to the root
servers. We found an extremely strong correlation both years: the higher the
query rate of a client, the lower the fraction of valid queries.
Repeated, identical and "referral-not-cached" queries constituted 69% of the
total load on the roots during the 2007 observations. We are not in a position
to evaluate the cost of this pollution to the root operators or to the
Internet, nor the cost of cleaning it up. Some sources of this pollution could
be mitigated by DNS operators locally serving common zones. For the March 2008
DITL experiment we will further investigate the patterns of these invalid
queries and identify other ways to reduce the DNS pollution at the roots."