Re: [ga] Tasting and other errant or illegal registration activity, was: Re: [ga] List Rules

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Tasting and other errant or illegal registration activity, was: Re: [ga] List Rules
  • From: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 18:45:09 -0700

One of the data points that we need in order to comprehend the effects of "tasting" is how much it actually costs registries to process a domain name registration transaction.

Without have a believable, concrete number we can't really know whether the costs of this practice are being offloaded onto normal full-term registrants.

If the transaction cost is high, then we need to know how it is being covered by those who get the benefit of free short term registrations via AGP. For example, we need to be able to analyze whether the amounts on deposit generate enough money to cover the costs engendered by those registrars that drive the bulk of AGP and other high-transaction rate activities.

And if the transaction cost is low then we need to understand how ICANN justifies the existence of registry fees that are much larger than would be expected via a cost plus reasonable profit formula.

I understand that "cost" is not a simple number, and that some simple numbers, such as the incremental cost, can be misleading. What I am suggesting is this: That registrars provide a mildly detailed breakdown of the cost elements of the various aspects of registration transaction processing and providing name resolution.

                --karl--