RE: [ga] Tasting and other errant or illegal registration activity, was: Re: [ga] List Rules

  • To: <chris@xxxxxx>, "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Elisabeth Porteneuve" <elisabeth.porteneuve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Tasting and other errant or illegal registration activity, was: Re: [ga] List Rules
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 14:57:09 -0400

Chris,

I don't mean to harp on the definition of "kiting", but I feel like I
need to clear up a misconception.  Kiting does not really occur as often
as has been represented.  I am enclosing an e-mail I sent last year to
the domain tasting group about this issue in which Tim actually agreed
with me.  The reason I am doing this is because Kiting is a loaded term
that conjures up such negative emotions and it really doesn't occur that
much.  VeriSign has represented that they have similar stats.

To answer your other point, there are a number of solutions that would
do away with the problem, but that does not mean we should adopt those.
For example, we could do away with registrars, but I am not in any way
advocating that :-) .The point is that I believe you should take the
least restrictive means to solve a problem, rather than a solution that
will likely have other negative effects in addition to solving the
problem.  For example, when we were examining transfers years ago, the
transfer process was being abused.  We could have solved the problem by
stating that transfers would no longer be allowed.  That would have been
ridiculous, but it would have solved the problem.  After all, without a
transfer process, the process could not be abused.  I know that's an
absurd example, but you get my point.

I can't do anything about your mistrust of ICANN, but I can tell you
that some of us registries and registrars are trying to do the right
thing.  NeuStar and Afilias submitted proposals on our own to address
the problem in a manner which we believe will (i) curb the abuses, (ii)
be easily implementable by registrars, and (iii) still allow for the
legitimate uses of the AGP.  There is nothing financial in this for us
-- just extra costs in implementation and perhaps the knowledge for
doing what we believe is right.  It may not be your perfect solution,
but if it works, then why not try it.

I need to get back to paid work as well.

Thanks.

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Sr. Director, Law, Advanced Services  &

Business Development