Re: [ga] The Aftertaste

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] The Aftertaste
  • From: David Scott <tlda@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:51:51 -0400

If there is a dispute address, that someone can dispute a false registered domain name. IE I have a trademark name, and someone registers the domain name, i can then dispute it.

Why not have a dispute area that if I register a name sld.tld and i receive an email that wants to sell me sld.tld2 for 18 times the actual sell-value. Then if i dispute that, fines are implicated upon the registrar, for the cost of the registration (9 dollars a year), users loss of registration, means it can be bought again, and then the selling price (18 times the sell-value)

Which, if the registrar doesn't comply the loss of registrar status will be on probation for less say 60 days for incident. This will force the registrar to 1. take actions either internally or externally by way of

1. If it is an end-user doing this, then the registrar is forced to take actions against the end user.
or
2. If it is internal, then they will need to investigate and take proper actions against this.

IN either case, the registrar is fined if a proper action is not applied for resolution.

With a policy of this nature. ICANN and other organizations KNOW when a registrar registers the name, and removes the name. A policy of this nature, 1 will aide in the cleanup of this debacle, and 2 aide in stopping further tasting from happening. incidentally, if the registrar loses it's ability as a registrar, then it is suspended for 1 year per incident after a 60 day period, or what have you. If a registrar loses money, as opposed to making money, they are forced to change their polices so that they DO make money, or the number of registrars start to decline. (Weed out the bad rubbish so to speak)

The same can apply for domain kitting. Make a percentage of the cost, non-refundable.

David Scott