Re[2]: [ga] domain tastinmg comments

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re[2]: [ga] domain tastinmg comments
  • From: Karl Peters - TLDA <tlda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 00:25:58 -0500

<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-15">
body {
  margin: 5px 5px 5px 5px;
  background-color: #ffffff;
}
/* ========== Text Styles ========== */
hr { color: #000000}
body, table /* Normal text */
{
 font-size: 10pt;
 font-family: 'Arial';
 font-style: normal;
 font-weight: normal;
 color: #000000;
 text-decoration: none;
}
span.rvts1 /* Heading */
{
 font-weight: bold;
 color: #0000ff;
}
span.rvts2 /* Subheading */
{
 font-weight: bold;
 color: #000080;
}
span.rvts3 /* Keywords */
{
 font-style: italic;
 color: #800000;
}
a.rvts4, span.rvts4 /* Jump 1 */
{
 color: #008000;
 text-decoration: underline;
}
a.rvts5, span.rvts5 /* Jump 2 */
{
 color: #008000;
 text-decoration: underline;
}
span.rvts6
{
 font-size: 9pt;
}
/* ========== Para Styles ========== */
p,ul,ol /* Paragraph Style */
{
 text-align: left;
 text-indent: 0px;
 padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
 margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
}
.rvps1 /* Centered */
{
 text-align: center;
}
--></style>
</head>

not in the money to registrars. (Though one might argue that they would make
more &nbsp;money if all those domains were continuously available to those who
wanted to pay the regular price for the registration and not the $295 I was
offered for a .com I had recently decided not to register for $8.99 and still
did not want.) Too many of these "tasters" are just playing the numbers at the
end registrant's great expense! The end users who might want to register that
many domains should have research departments to determine a much smaller
number than a few thousand domains from which to choose. They should &nbsp;just
register them if they think they will really need them. If not, why even play
games with them? I would argue it is not those big companies that make real use
of this "tasting" sham, but rather swindlers out for a fast buck with as little
(or no!) downside possible. Yes, one can argue that it is entrepreeurship. I
would say otherwise, because the person tasting never really bought or owned
anything, not even the registration of the name. These are not things to be
owned, but rather addresses registered to be used from the public trust, as
administered by registrars who owe all people an equal shot at any given domain
registration at a fair price. We should abolish the "tasting" scam and return
to real business where people take a real risk for their real reward and do not
remove any product from the market without having bought it first.</span></p>
company that "tasted" a few hundred domain names, returning most of them after
a few days, so as to determine their usefulness to that company in actual use,
not simply in brokering their sale? I bet not! Let's not live in this dream
world. Let's get real and return the registry business to registrars and not
hawks and swindlers out for a fast buck without risk, that also gums up the
market for everyone else.</span></p>