[ga] [Fwd: Re: [At-Large] AT-LARGE ANNOUNCEMENT: Resignation of ALAC Vice-Chair]

  • To: Ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] [Fwd: Re: [At-Large] AT-LARGE ANNOUNCEMENT: Resignation of ALAC Vice-Chair]
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 05:53:13 -0700

All,

  FYI sadly yet again...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [At-Large] AT-LARGE ANNOUNCEMENT: Resignation of  ALAC
Vice-Chair
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 05:52:21 -0700
From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: At-Large Staff <staff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: Peter Dengate Thrush <barrister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,ALAC
<alac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,DOC/NTIA ICANN Rep
<aheineman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,Dominik Filipp
<dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx>,"twomey@xxxxxxxxx" <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, Avri
Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
<47E024B4.A620B446@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> <47E07D8B.8050807@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<47E0A5B1.64767546@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> <47E0B945.8050402@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Cheryl and all,

  Thank you for your response, however inaccurate or misguided
it is or may be.  It's clear from your response, enough wasn't said,
evidently and sadly...

  The remainder of my response/remarks/observations expressed
is interspersed below.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr wrote:

> Nick / Matthias,  perhaps you can you provide Mr Williams with a link to
> the ROP's on the wiki and any other pointer relevant to his inquiries...

This would be nice, thank you finally!  In any event, these links should
be easily accessible or a search facility for finding them should be
available that actually works.  ICANN's main Web site search facility
doesn't still work properly as many have on more than one occasion
point out on the GA forum before.  Please review relevant archives,
which BTW, also do not have a search facility or ability either.

> At your convenience...  Mr Williams seems to not to have a completely
> clear understanding of what the ALAC<=> RALO <=> ALS structure and
> interaction is, nor our specific role and purpose within ICANN or of how
> we conduct our business... so perhaps pointing him to the public
> information on that might be of use as well...

  I understand the structure fine, no problems for me there.  I also
understand the "Role" as you put it fine as well.  OUR business?  Whom
is OUR?  How is that defined.  As I understand it, ICANN has yet to
approve any funding for the ALAC, the ALAC is not a registered NGO,
not listed with any UN organization to date, and is not independently
incorporated in any form.

> Jeffrey, on the matter of my use of the term "In My Opinion"  let me
> clarify that was specifically used as it is the terminology in the rules
> of procedure regarding list conduct, that we are referring to and you
> should note *have* previously and recently (since you have been posting
> messaged to the list) posted to the At-Large list.

  I have posted to the ALAC list before, yes. Not to the STAFF list,
and still am in wonderment as to how that is possible in that I did not
subscribe to the "At-Large Staff <staff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>" at any time.

> As to the other point(s)  you raise:-  My copy to At-Large Staff is
> because they action any moderation I order, and I did NOT use 'reply
> all' as my reply is to you and c.c. to Staff for file and action if
> required;  On the matter of what constitutes cross posting we (and here
> I mean myself and the ALAC) disagree, and if those parties you copied to
> are indeed 'interested parties' to the activities of the ALAC and its
> lists, then they are (or should be) subscribers to the relevant list(s)
> and indeed many are;  On the other issues have no comment.

  If  your reply was not to me than why mention my by my name, both
first and last in two separate sentences?  I don't know for a certantity
whom is or is not subscribed to which of the ALS's/ALAC lists, nor
am I particularly interested exactly whom is or is not.  I do know
everyone whom has posted to the "ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
which is listed on the ALAC web site as the "Global" list.  However that
is not all that important to me either other than if I do not have a
entry for
some "Interested Party" AND in my opinion the subject matter or content
is or should be of interest to said "Interested Party", than by our
mandate,
I am duty bound to be sure they are "CC'ed" on my responses or
originating
postings accordingly, to ensure openness, transparency, and sometimes
accountability, in accordance with the MOU with DOC/NTIA.

BTW, "Interested Party" is defined by our organization, as any user or
other stakeholder of the Internet that I or my staff are aware of and is
not already forwarded through our internal network(s) accordingly and
are not interested in joining directly the ALAC or ALS's as your
filtering
practices to the extent those are clearly understood or recognized as
legitimate by our members and associates, of which all of our members
are Domain Name holders AND users, and all of our associates are
at least users.  We prefer, as both users and stakeholders as is
appropriate, to give our members and associates the CHOICE for
themselves a broad range of specific filtering capabilities.  These
Email
filtering capabilities include but are not limited to, content word
filtering
both inclusive and exclusive, content phrase filtering, subject line
filtering,
Email address filtering, key word filtering, nuance filtering, subject
thread
filtering/comparison.