[ga] Fraudulent Request to Transfer Your Domain Name(s) to Network Solutions

  • To: "Nevett, Jonathon" <jnevett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Fraudulent Request to Transfer Your Domain Name(s) to Network Solutions
  • From: "Prophet Partners Inc." <Domains@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:58:30 -0500

Hi Jon,

We are getting bombarded with **fraudulent** transfer requests, similar to the
one below, every 3 days. NetSol customer support said that NetSol has no
control over their wholesale registrar partners and cannot cancel these
fraudulent transfer requests. How does a domain registrant cancel these
fraudulent transfer requests?

Note the following:
1) These emails originate from NetSol and not your registrar partner Amen.Fr,
so NetSol is responsible for distributing them.
2) The email says "This e-mail was sent from a notification only address and
cannot receive incoming messages." As we have not done any business through
Network Solutions for several years, these unsolicited commercial messages are
consider spam and a violation of the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/canspam.shtm
  What the Law Requires

  Here's a rundown of the law's main provisions:

  [...]

  It requires that your email give recipients an opt-out method. You must
provide a return email address or another Internet-based response mechanism
that allows a recipient to ask you not to send future email messages to that
email address, and you must honor the requests. You may create a "menu" of
choices to allow a recipient to opt out of certain types of messages, but you
must include the option to end any commercial messages from the sender.

3) As a domain registrant, we **do** want to be notified of each transfer
request, but we **do not** want 5 additional reminders over a 15-day period.
Network Solutions needs to implement an easy way for domain registrants to
cancel these fraudulent transfer requests. A "don't respond to this message" is
simply inadequate.

I am not a lawyer and these are only my personal opinions. If you require legal
advice, you should seek qualified legal counsel.

Sincerely,
Ted
Prophet Partners Inc.
http://www.ProphetPartners.com