RE: [ga] Why is ICANN's travel agency invoicing for 3.7x what other agents charge?

  • To: Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Why is ICANN's travel agency invoicing for 3.7x what other agents charge?
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 07:22:45 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

--- Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Another important bit of information is the fact that ICANN is
looking into
> the travel expenditures, and looking for viable alternatives. Of
course,
> with such a dynamic market like airlines, the best solution today
might not
> be the best one  tomorrow, so this is sort of a continuous
optimization
> process.

It's funny, given that ICANN has a whole TLD devoted to .travel. Surely
they could consult 3 or 4 travel agencies at all times to ensure they
have a competitive quote, instead of just consulting one. When I order
$4 binders, I make sure to compare prices at Staples and Office Depot,
to make sure I'm getting the best deal.

ICANN spends on the order of $7.6 million (budgeted for 2007-2008) for
travel and board meetings:

http://www.icann.org/financials/adopted-budget-29jun07.htm

Saving 70% (if the 3.7x overcharging is typical) represents millions of
dollars. Even saving 15% would be over a million dollars.

Oh, and the irony is that a month ago I wrote:

"Once this "new" technology called "Google" reaches ICANN, perhaps
they'll be a force to be reckoned with. It might better compete with
some cozy travel operator whose first thoughts are "suckers" whenever
ICANN calls them for a "quote." "

That 2nd sentence just said it all. :) ICANN can't say it wasn't warned
about travel gouging, when that quote is sitting in the archives (and
I'm certainly not the first to have warned ICANN, I'm sure).

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/