Re: [ga] ICANN Travel Budgeting

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN Travel Budgeting
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 17:53:12 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

--- Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just sent a similar note to Kieren by way of the
> CPSR Governance list.  I'd love to know why the other
> candidate cities were rejected if the cost for
> attendance in Delhi is so high.

Just as another example, both Moniker.com and DomainRoundtable.com held
live domain name auctions streamed over the internet to hundreds of
people using:

www.ustream.tv

Millions of dollars changed hands. That application even has a
chatroom, and doesn't require the crash-prone Real Player software.

I'm sure there any number of vendors who could provide low cost remote
participation systems. Besides Webex and ustream.tv, there's
Microsoft's LiveMeeting (www.livemeeting.com).

There's also this "new" tool on the Internet called "Google", maybe
Vint Cerf might have let ICANN know about it before he left. I went to
www.google.com and typed "videoconferencing"  and go 3.7 million
matches, fancy that. And there were these things called "sponsored
links", where people were begging to give free estimates.

Once this "new" technology called "Google" reaches ICANN, perhaps
they'll be a force to be reckoned with. It might better compete with
some cozy travel operator whose first thoughts are "suckers" whenever
ICANN calls them for a "quote."

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/