[ga] Re: A Root with a view...

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Re: A Root with a view...
  • From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:14:57 +0100

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 10:46:26PM -0600,
 jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 48 lines which said:

> Why are these DNS configuration errors remaining and continuely
> repeated unchecked/uncorrected?

Because there is no Internet police able to go down on Joe User and
ask him to fix his local network's DNS resolver?

Unless GWB declares that fighting DNS misconfigurations is part of the
"war against terror" and decides to send US Marines to check BIND
configuration everywhere?

> Why doesn't ICANN exercise some enforcment on the TLD registries to
> insist that their DNS is properly configured, or face immediate
> dis-accredation?

Over my dead body. Where is ICANN's legitimacy to ask ".fr" or ".mx"
to change their configuration?

And it has nothing to do with the data presented by John Crain. His
data indicates a bad behaviour of some *resolvers*, not a mistake in
the TLDs. There is nothing the TLD managers could do about it.