Re: [ga] Vint stepping down

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Vint stepping down
  • From: Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:43:13 -0400

Yes Karl, your absolutely right. ICANN does in fact "absolutely nothing of a technical nature". It pretends to be a technical body in spirit if not in fact. And I would go further to say that ICANN has done technical harm to the whole Internet. During ICANNs brief history of existence its commitment to the Internet Community and the Whitehouse has been to "do no harm". Yet ICANNs is more or less responsible for about 20 root fractures, the biggest being in China, the Arab States and Turkey, with some impact on the larger European ISPs. Lets not forget that this all happened under Vint Cerf term at ICANN. One of those root fractures was cause intentionally by Paul Vixie when he joined the European Open Root Server Network as a root server operator. So it is clear that under Vints stately chairmanship the provisions of RFC2826, being the IAB Technical Comment on the Unique DNS Root by the Internet Architecture Board, are in tatters. Indeed ICANN is a failure and as Vint leaves we should not forget this technical nightmare all happened under his stewardship.

But I do agree with most of the comments here that he is a nice guy. But thats irrelevant. He was not hired to be a nice guy at ICANN he was hired to do a job. And he has failed miserably in that.

regards
joe baptista

Karl Auerbach wrote:

Joop Teernstra wrote:
.

The only deficit I could think of would be in the tech-cred and internet-savvy department.

Which would matter how? ICANN does absolutely nothing of a technical nature; rather, as very deeply illustrated by its new tld policy proposal, is based on a desire to engage in social, economic, and business practice regulation.

It would be a big difference with Vint's prestige.

That prestige has prevented board members from treating his point of view as merely one among equals. And since Vint tends to look on the net with a kind of paternalism, colored by a bit of Flower Power era view of human interactions and motivations, that has lead to an ICANN that is itself paternalistic well beyond its chartered role and unable to constrain the actions of Verisign and the IP interests.

As I may have mentioned here previously, I'm anticipating enormous changes in ICANN as a result of this shift.

BTW, tonight ICANN is holding a Vint going away bash at Sony Studios (the old MGM studios) - it's rather ironic given the intellectual property juggernaut that comes from the movie companies and ICANN's defenseless inability to deny the IP industry anything it asks.

        --karl--

--
Joe Baptista                                www.publicroot.org
PublicRoot Consortium

begin:vcard
fn:Joe Baptista
n:Baptista;Joe
org:PublicRoot Consortium
adr:;;963 Ford Street;Peterborough;Ontario;K9J 5V5 ;Canada
email;internet:baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:PublicRoot Representative
tel;fax:+1 (509) 479-0084
tel;cell:+1 (416) 912-6551