Re: [ga] Vint stepping down

  • To: Joop Teernstra <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Vint stepping down
  • From: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 10:00:07 -0700

Joop Teernstra wrote:
.
The only deficit I could think of would be in the tech-cred and internet-savvy department.

Which would matter how? ICANN does absolutely nothing of a technical nature; rather, as very deeply illustrated by its new tld policy proposal, is based on a desire to engage in social, economic, and business practice regulation.

It would be a big difference with Vint's prestige.

That prestige has prevented board members from treating his point of view as merely one among equals. And since Vint tends to look on the net with a kind of paternalism, colored by a bit of Flower Power era view of human interactions and motivations, that has lead to an ICANN that is itself paternalistic well beyond its chartered role and unable to constrain the actions of Verisign and the IP interests.

As I may have mentioned here previously, I'm anticipating enormous changes in ICANN as a result of this shift.

BTW, tonight ICANN is holding a Vint going away bash at Sony Studios (the old MGM studios) - it's rather ironic given the intellectual property juggernaut that comes from the movie companies and ICANN's defenseless inability to deny the IP industry anything it asks.

                --karl--