Re: [ga] Draft Anti-Phishing Best Practices Recommendations for Registrars

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Draft Anti-Phishing Best Practices Recommendations for Registrars
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 13:17:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

--- Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 25 okt 2007, at 12.39, George Kirikos wrote:
>
> > Although, some of the ICANN Board members are no better, see:
> >
> > http://blog.domaintools.com/2007/05/score-card-on-the-icann-board-
> > and-how-dotcom-savvy-they-are/
>

> i don't understand.   why does having myname.com or myfullname.com
> correlate with being savvy.
>
> is this a marketing ploy? i.e. prove you are savvy and pay for a
> domain name?

I fully believe that you don't understand. One of the definitions of
"savvy" is:

http://www.answers.com/savvy&r=67

"To perceive and recognize the meaning of: accept, apprehend, catch
(on), compass, comprehend, conceive, fathom, follow, get, grasp, make
out, read, see, sense, take, take in, understand."

Given the availability of AvriDoria.com, and Doria.com being a porn
site, I think a poll of registrants as to who was savvier in this
instance would give the majority of votes to the Playboy model.

If you asked the average registrant, or especially the subset that are
in the public arena, about owning their surname.com or fullname.com,
it's simply a no-brainer. But, perhaps the average registrant is from
Mars or Venus, and the average Board member is from Pluto (Joi Ito
being an exception).

If a reason for not registering yourname.com is "well, we don't need
domain names, people can use Google to find us", why are thousands of
new TLDs being contemplated? Certainly there are more than 36^60
available dot-coms out there that are unregistered, enough for
approximately every atom in the universe, give or take. Isn't that
enough?

As for "pay for a domain name", if the Board is so penny-wise, how'd
they let VeriSign boost prices on everybody else? I really hope someone
stands up in the public forum at the next meeting, now that the price
increases have taken effect, and ask the Board members to individually
state how many domains each of them own. I think it would be very
illuminating.

http://about.tucows.com/2007/10/11/thoughts-on-the-domain-name-price-increases/

Wouldn't it be rather shocking if the folks deciding on the rules of
the road, or gas taxes, for example, didn't own cars or had no drivers
licenses? On the information superhighway, not recognizing the value of
certain domains, no-brainers, is akin to flunking your driving test.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/

P.S. Last post of the day for me, have a nice evening folks!