Re: [ga] A Windfall for VeriSign?

  • To: elliot noss <enoss@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] A Windfall for VeriSign?
  • From: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 18:40:43 -0700

elliot noss wrote:

I will post on the forum at some later point, but would like to be clear on one point here. this not only should, but MUST be a "windfall" for ICANN. now you and I may view "windfall" differently. in this case it would mean ICANN needing to generate significantly less, and perhaps none, of their budget from registrants going forward. to me this means revenue for ICANN and a windfall for registrants.

On the other hand, by creating a differential pricing structure for short domain names, ICANN would be inserting its controlling and manipulating hands directly into the operation of the domain name marketplace.

And to do so not for any purpose that is related to the technical stability of the internet but, instead, to shape the business and economic landscape of the domain name marketplace in accord with the vision and desires of its incumbent "stakeholders", which exclude, notably, the people who actually buy and pay for domain name products.

Your company has been one of the brightest lights of the domain name industry. I don't like seeing ICANN constrain you and your ideas so that you have to ask permission (knowing that it will often be a futile exercise) before you can engage in what are lawful business practices selling lawful products on terms that reflect a mutual agreement between you and your customers.

Through this proposed activity ICANN is suggesting that it has the right to reach into Tucows [and other registrars] and manipulate the prices you charge for certain domain name products. That is, assuming that ICANN even allows these short names to be sold via registrars at all.

(Indeed ICANN has already inserted its regulatory apparatus rather deeply into the domain name marketplace - ICANN has forced Tucows [and other registrars] to incorporate the fiat and unjustified fiat registry fees into your own prices, and ICANN has required that you sell domain name products wrapped with ICANN imposed terms and conditions without regard for what the domain name buyers want.)

At some point someone is going to raise the question, in a forum in which it can not be ignored: What is the source of authority for ICANN to manipulate prices and products in the worlds only viable marketplace of domain names?

In many parts of the world, absent such authority, that kind of marketplace manipulation is, particularly when it comes about, as it does in ICANN, through agreements among incumbents, considered contrary to the public interest and is often unlawful.

ICANN was created under the banner of promoting competition and market forces, not denying and coercing them.

(As for the the windfall, personally I think names like o.com ought to go, at normal prices, to the heirs of O'Henry or Willa Cather [Oh Pioneers] rather than some neuvo upstart reseller of surplus stuff that nobody wanted to buy. But I'm not going to hold my breath for that.)

Moreover, ICANN has become a bloated regulatory body with a budget that is approaching that of the dreaded ITU. As long as ICANN can pull revenue out of windfalls (as it did once before when it got the RIRs to cover one of ICANN's near-insolvency events) it can continue its cancerous growth. If it's money stream becomes constrained then we might see the end of ICANN's empire building.

                --karl--