Re: [ga] A Windfall for VeriSign?

  • To: Andy Gardner <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] A Windfall for VeriSign?
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 18:39:27 -0400

Better yet - do nothing.

This has nothing to do with windfall profits, etc. This can't be a discussion about what other people put in their pockets. It should be a conversation about what is the best way to manage this public resource in the interests of the internet community. Giving away a couple of domain names at any price tag will do nothing for the community at large and shouldn't even be a topic for consideration until we deal with the 98 million other things on our collective wish list.

-ross

Andy Gardner wrote:

I thinking the best ideas I've heard so far to avoid unworthy registries/registrars getting windfall auction profits, is to raffle off "a.com" with every owner of a .com domain starting with "a" getting one ticket.

b.com gets raffled off between all current b*.com owners. etc.

So all these held-back domains go to random new owners who can do what they want with them.

If the capitalist pigs really want an auction, to support "let the market decide the rightful owner" valuation prinicipals, then that's fine, but if (say) Verisign bags $50 million from those auctions, then the .com user base should share that windfall via a rebate on their reg fees for the year the auction takes place. Verisign should be content with their unnecessary annual reg fee hike.

So Verisign gets their normal reg fee for those names, ICANN get's it's normal tax, and the windfall is distributed out evenly to the user base.