Re: [ga] On Its Way: One of the Biggest Changes to the Internet

  • To: Andy Gardner <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] On Its Way: One of the Biggest Changes to the Internet
  • From: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 13:33:56 +0200

At 08:12 12/10/2007, Andy Gardner wrote:
Please explain how a long idn domain beginning with xn-- is somehow
more dangerous to the DNS than any other ascii domain name of the
same limited character length?

Is xn-- some magical character sequence that terrorists came up with?

Sheesh. This will be on Fox "News" next.

:-)
"xn" is the european code for "dangerous"
"xn" is also an abreviation for "christian"
"xn" is also the largest insurance group for expats. Good advertising.

As I documented it, "xn" is not the real issue. "--" is, because it means that, one way or another, one plays with with the DN display or usage.

I am surprised no one talked yet of phishing, and babel names, and the fact there is nothing new under the sun. 3LD IDN are in use for very long. http://jean-françois.jefsey.com is a very old example we compile at the Eurolinc WG IDN (so old, I do not even remember what it is in there, so probably some issues are missing?).

jfc