Re: [ga] ICANN, TWNIC Host "Toward the New Era of Internet"- IDN Key topic

  • To: ga the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN, TWNIC Host "Toward the New Era of Internet"- IDN Key topic
  • From: Andy Gardner <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:06:14 -0500

On Sep 27, 2007, at 2:55 PM, Roberto Gaetano wrote:

I am not saying you are wrong, I am just expressing my opinion, which is that the perception of most people, including probably all those who do not
use latin scripts, would rate differently the addition of a handful of
diacritical character to the standard latin script a different thing than
introducing a completely different script.
You might be "technically" right, insofar a very limited set of extension to the standard character set is anyway a progress and formally an IDN, but my guess would be that a Japanese would perceive the addition of diacritical
latin characters to the set as by and large irrelevant.

Totally agree. But shouldn't ICANN who are, according to their PR, a "technical coordinating body" make sure their releases are "technically" correct?

Anyway, I hope that at least we agree on the fact that the introduction of IDN TLDs would be a much welcome step further. And to the parts of the world
that will be more impacted by that step, this improvement is far more
important than the QI of ICANN people.

You have my 100% agreement on that. That was never in question.

So maybe in our disagreement we might have some common view.

I think our only disagreement is that I think ICANN should release a correction to their PR, and you don't. Correct?