ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow3tf]

Re: [dow3tf] Further Revised Best Practices

  • To: Brian Darville <BDARVILLE@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [dow3tf] Further Revised Best Practices
  • From: "Ross Wm. Rader" <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 19:33:26 -0400
  • Cc: dow3tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, roseman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-dow3tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 5/24/2004 6:57 PM Brian Darville noted that:

I have revised the best practices further in light of Sarah's last comments, a discussion with Bruce Tonkin, Ross's comments, etc.

Is there a red line of the best practices available? I am not sure which comments are Sarah's, which are yours, etc.

At least two of the new recommended practices are ones suggested by Bruce which he thought may be acceptable to registrars.

Which?

Bruce suggested that we needed to make specific recommendations rather than general statements.

Yes, but please note for the record that it was never my contention that we shouldn't be making specific policy recommendations. Rather, I have been concerned that these proposals are "over-specified". My objection is rooted in this statement from his last message, "...In general, with reference to the ICANN core value: "Where feasible and appropriate, depending on market mechanisms to promote and sustain a competitive environment.", the implementation of ICANN policies should be left to the competitive market." I sincerely hope that this is clear to the members of this task force.

-- Regards,

-rwr

"In the modern world the intelligence of public opinion is the one indispensable condition for social progress."
- Charles W. Eliot (1834 - 1926)