ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow3tf]

Fwd: Re: [dow3tf] TF3

  • To: <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Fwd: Re: [dow3tf] TF3
  • From: "Brian Darville" <BDARVILLE@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 10:45:26 -0400
  • Cc: <dow3tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-dow3tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bruce:

Please take  a look at the attached Registrar comments.  The registrar constituency has taken the position that literally all of the substantive recommendations regarding WHOIS data accuracy are out of scope because they relate to implementation as opposed to policy.  Do you agree with this statement? If the registrar position is correct, it is doubtful that the Task Force can make any meaningful recommendations regarding WHOIS data accuracy issues and the preliminary and final reports will be largely general statements of little import.  In my view the registrar position is directly at odds with your recommendations in your May 19, 2004 email regarding how you see the various Task Forces progressing.

Please let me know your view on this issue so that the Task Force can determine whether there is any basis for it to continue with its work in recommending best practices and mechanisms for further ascertaining those practices.  It would be helpful if I could get your views on this issue as soon as possible.

I have copied Ross Rader, the Constituency Rep, so that he can articulate his views directly.

Thank you.

Brian Darville
Oblon, Spivak
(703) 412-6426
bdarville@xxxxxxxxx

On 5/4/2004 11:06 AM sarah.b.deutsch@xxxxxxxxxxx noted that:

> Ross:
>
> The attached are draft comments I gave to Brian just two days ago,  but I
> was awaiting additional comments from other BC colleagues.  I did receive
> some additional feedback yesterday, which is incorporated in the attached.
>
>   Actually, what I tried to do was to keep as many of your suggested
> revisions as possible and attempt to create a middle ground where we can
> move forward.   Many of the changes are designed to reassure that the TF
> does not require ICANN to mandate any particular steps, but simply to
> consider various options.
>
> One important point that I have not had time to add, but which should be
> included, is the costs considerations of any particular best practice in
> the WHOIS space.

Thank you Sarah - transparency to these proceedings is extremely
important and even with the best of intentions, can be hard to come
by. I appreciate seeing this earlier draft as it really helps me
understand the context of the subsequent revisions and drafts.

I believe that we can achieve the compromise you seek. In fact, let me
  be explicit about it. The registrar position is quite simple and
allows us to move forward with positive results for everyone.

1. There are a lot of effective, but voluntary, programs (ie - the
Whois Data Problem Report system - http://wdprs.internic.net) in place
today that improve the accuracy of the whois. These need to be made
mandatory.

2. Registrars and registrants that don't abide by the terms of their
contracts need be dealt with by ICANN and/or the registry operators
(and/or registrars where registrants are concerned) as appropriate. To
make this more possible, ICANN and the registry operators need to
developed graduated sanctions and beef up their enforcement/compliance
efforts.

Beyond this, requirements to adopt specific business processes, submit
to disclosures of non-compliance or shift the burden of liability from
registrants to registrars is completely inappropriate. Registrars will
not accept any recommendations of this kind - not only are the
legalities of such an imposition questionable, but we must consider
the impact that they would have on the competitive environment. For
instance, forcing a registrar to adopt automated processes when their
entire operation is based on manual processes would probably have the
effect of killing that particular registrar. Forcing a wholly
automated registrar to adopt manual processes would have a similar
effect. If ICANN is serious about promoting a competitive environment,
then it must continue to provide a foundation for that competition.

I have included a revision to Brian's last draft that details what I
believe creates the basis for this type of a compromise (very similar
to the edits that your earlier draft includes with commentary peppered
throughout that underlines the motivation for the changes requested
from my perspective...)

To your last point, understanding cost implications should be dealt
with prior to moving forward with our recommendations. As I understand
it, these should have been included with the position statements of
the constituencies, but given the lack of uniformity in the responses,
I'm not sure that we can expect it. I suppose at this point that
noting that there will be costs are about as good as we can do unless
there are specific suggestions that would help us be more specific...

--

                        -rwr

                 "Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions.
                                            All life is an experiment.
                             The more experiments you make the better."
						- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Got Blog? http://www.blogware.com
My Blogware: http://www.byte.org