ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow3tf]

=?windows-874?q?Re:=20[dow3tf]=20TR:=20Task=20Force=203=20=97=20?==?windows-874?q?Revised=20List=20of=20Companies=20to=20Survey=20=20?=

  • To: <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: =?windows-874?q?Re:=20[dow3tf]=20TR:=20Task=20Force=203=20=97=20?==?windows-874?q?Revised=20List=20of=20Companies=20to=20Survey=20=20?=
  • From: "Brian Darville" <BDARVILLE@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 15:34:58 -0500
  • Cc: <dow3tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-dow3tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ross:

My understanding was that we would obtain a response to the survey questions from the IETF.  I think it makes sense to submit the same questions to all of those surveyed and have them respond.

On another issue, the reason to include Verisign in the survey was to determine from the part of the company, which offers products and services in which customers require verification, what information it gathers and what methodologies it employs in verifing the accuracy of that data.  I don't think it makes sense to survey that part of Verisign that operates the .com and.net registries  -- that registry collects no personally identifiable information on any domian name registrant -- but rather the rest oftheir company, much of which offers products and services to customers  which requires verification.

For this reason, I am not sure it advances the ball to include the registries in the survey on other industries' practices to confirm accuracy of customer data.

Brian

>>> "Ross Wm. Rader" <ross@xxxxxxxxxx> 01/14/04 03:02PM >>>
On 1/14/2004 12:02 PM GNSO SECRETARIAT noted that:

> 7) IETF — Richard Shockey (IETF Chair) (Ross Rader to alert Shockey that
> survey is in the offing)

<snip>

> b) ENUM Project (IETF)

Just a small correction. I believe that we agreed that we would request
feedback from Rich as the chair of the ENUM working group rather than
relying on unofficial internet-drafts which while publicly available,
typically do not have official standing. The goal being that if we are
going to be analysing data that may end up in a best practice document
that we analyse data from official sources with a clear understanding of
the status and context of the data.

As an aside, information regarding the ENUM working group can be found
here: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/enum-charter.html

--

                        -rwr

                 "Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions.
                                            All life is an experiment.
                             The more experiments you make the better."
                         - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Got Blog? http://www.blogware.com
My Blogware: http://www.byte.org