ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow2tf]

[dow2tf] Proxy services update: Findings + recommendations.

  • To: dow2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [dow2tf] Proxy services update: Findings + recommendations.
  • From: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 01:31:59 +0200
  • Sender: owner-dow2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

I'm attaching updated findings and recommendations sections on proxy
services.  With the findings, I have included an extremely brief
summary of the constituency input received during the data
collection phase.

The recommendations are based on Steve's 14 May text, with the
following changes:

- There is a brief introduction that mentions the NCUC's proposal to
  strike RAA 3.7.7.3 and points to concerns raised with the proxy
  situation.

- I suggest to strike the second question, "What steps are taken to
  ensure that the registrar collects (or has immediate access to)
  accurate, complete and current contact information on all
  registrants taking advantage of such services?"

  This question does not make much sense to me, since -- from a
  registrar perspective -- the proxy service is the registrant.  Is
  the idea here that proxy services should tunnel some information
  to registrars, or is this question intended to specifically apply
  to proxy services provided in cooperation with registrars?

  This either needs quite a bit of clarification, or should be
  stricken.

- I have added two questions, one asking about stability issues --
  what happens to a domain name registered through proxy when the
  proxy goes out of business? --, and one asking about the
  usefulness of proxy services to enable anonymous free speech.

Word document attached.

PS: I have finally listened to the 21 April MP3. Proxy services were
not discussed on that call.

Good night,
--
Thomas Roessler  <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>