ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives


<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

[dow1tf] Whois task force 1 notes minutes teleconference February 10

  • To: "1DOW1tf" <dow1tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [dow1tf] Whois task force 1 notes minutes teleconference February 10
  • From: "GNSO SECRETARIAT" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 21:26:45 +0100
  • Importance: Normal
  • Reply-to: <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-dow1tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please find the notes/minutes of the Whois task force 1 teleconference held
on February 10, 2004.

If you would like any changes made, please let me know.

Thank you.

Glen de Saint Géry
GNSO Secretariat
<!--#set var="bartitle" value="WHOIS Task Force 1 minutes"-->
<!--#set var="pagetitle" value="WHOIS Task Force 1 minutes"-->
<!--#set var="10 February 2004" value=""-->
<!--#set var="bgcell" value="#ffffff"-->
<!--#include virtual="/header.shtml"-->
<!--#exec cmd="/usr/bin/perl /etc/gnso/menu.pl 'WHOIS Task Force 1 minutes'"-->
<p align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><b>WHOIS Task Force 
  1 Teleconference February 10 , 2004 - Minutes</b></font></p>
<p><b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">ATTENDEES:<br>
<p><b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">GNSO Constituency representatives:<br>
  </font></b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">gTLD Registries constituency: 
  - Jeff</font><b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"> </font></b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Neuman</font><b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"> 
  - </font></b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Chair</font><b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><br>
  </font></b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Commercial and Business 
  Users constituency - David Fares <br>
  </font><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">gTLD Registries constituency 
  </font><b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">- </font></b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">David 
  </font><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Intellectual Property Interests 
  Constituency - Jeremy Banks<br>
  Non Commercial Users Constituency - Milton Mueller </font> <font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><br>
  </font><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><br>
  At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) liaisons - Wendy Seltzer<br>
  <b>ICANN Staff Manager</b>: Barbara Roseman<br>
  <b>GNSO Secretariat:</b> Glen de Saint G&eacute;ry <br>
  <font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Internet Service and Connectivity 
  Providers constituency: - Antonio Harris</font> - <font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">apologies</font><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><br>
  Registrars constituency - Paul Stahura</font></p>
<p><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><b>Surveys</b></font></p>
<p><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Glen de Saint G&eacute;ry reported 
  the <a href="http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois-privacy/questionnaire-tf1-06feb04.shtml";>task 
  force 1 survey questionnaire</a> had been distributed to the address list that 
  <b>Barbara Roseman</b> had provided <br>
  and a list of <a href="http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/dow1tf/msg00072.html";>company 
  names without addresses</a> were sent to the task force members to identify 
  possible contacts and distribute the survey.<br>
  In addition the survey was distributed to the GNSO constituency list, and published 
  on the <a href="http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois-privacy/";>ICANN website</a>.<br>
  Some task force members sent snail mail address contacts and it was suggested 
  that Barbara Roseman ask the ICANN office to send the survey to them.<br>
  In summary:<br>
  </font><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">1) Surveys <br>
  a) Each member will send out the survey to its own constituency to try to get 
  the constituencies to circulate them to other entities and organizations. <br>
  b) ICANN will look into putting a notice on its website about the survey.<br>
  c) Glen will look into fixing typo in last sentence of the questionnaire (the 
  word "our" is in there twice). <br>
  d) We will circulate the list of organizations to the group and divide up the 
  contacts so that we can follow up with them personally to ensure that they are 
  filling out the survey. <br>
  </font><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"> </font><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">e) 
  It was suggested that the survey response archives be sent to each task force 
  <b>Needs and Justification chart</b><br>
  <b>Jeff Neuman</b> referred to Wendy Seltzer's <a href="http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/dow1tf/msg00071.html";>email</a>, 
  reporting on the first sub group meeting to prepare a chart listing: WHOIS data 
  user (individual or group); Stated needs for WHOIS data; and Justification for 
  those uses of WHOIS data, from pervious Whois workshop material and suggesting 
  individual work assignments.<br>
  <b>David Maher</b> reported completing his assignment of presentations which 
  were statements about privacy and did not go into detail. A list of data was 
  not possible, there should be a textural explanation in the columns. Wendy remarked 
  that the presentations indicated that people did not want the data made public, 
  rather than a concern why the data was needed.<br>
  <b>Milton Mueller </b>stated that trying to visualize the end result of the 
  task force, it was difficult to understand the purpose of the latest exercise 
  collecting the needs and justifications.<br>
  There seem to be 2 interests at stake:<br>
  - </font><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">People who used various forms 
  of data, such as port 43 <br>
  - Others, such as the registries and registrars or the service providers who 
  find or think that the Whois capabilities are abused.<br>
  He was rather of the opinion that additional data should perhaps be collected 
  about the registrars and registries load in terms of what it means to them and 
  whether there was a big problem.<br>
  <b>Jeff Neuman</b> restated the task force's role according to the terms of 
  1. - collect the stated needs and the justification for those needs from non-marketing 
  users of contact information (this could be extracted from the Montreal workshop 
  and also by GNSO constituencies, and should also include accessibility requirements 
  (e.g based on W3C standards) <br>
  2. - review general approaches to prevent automated electronic data mining and 
  ensure that the requirements for access are met (including accessibility requirements 
  for those that may for example be visually impaired) <br>
  3. - determine whether any changes are required in the contracts to allow the 
  approaches to be used above (for example the contracts require the use of the 
  port-43 WHOIS protocol and this may not support approaches to prevent data mining) 
  <b>David Fares</b> commented that point 2 was a factual review while point 3 
  called for the revision of contracts allowing everything identified in 2 to 
  be implemented, but in fact, it was noted, there was no place to make a policy 
  recommendation whether any of those should be implemented. <br>
<p><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Collection of facts and constituency 
  statements was considered important but would not provide much guidance to the 
  Council. Should be included in the chart in third column. The</font><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"> 
  task force goal was to report to the Council what the needs and justification 
  were for different types of data, whether through port 43 or web based access 
  and to see if there were ways to restrict the access.<br>
  <b>Milton Mueller</b> emphasized the need for the task force to make recommendations</font><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">.<br>
  Clarification was needed on the terms of reference as to policy recommendations. 
  For example, the Terms of Reference do not ask the Task Force to make recommendations 
  as to whether they believed access should be restricted and if so, how. If they 
  were not charged with making such recommendations, then who would be? <br>
  <b>In summary:</b><br>
  2) Needs/Justification Charts: <br>
  a) First draft of charts due to Jeff Neuman by Thursday, Feb. 12th. who will 
  collate them into one chart and send out to group by the weekend.<br>
  b)Review chart on the next call. <br>
  c) Please remember to include a third column on the chart for concerns about 
  access to Whois. <br>
  Following a concern raised by Milton Mueller on Registry/Registrar Methods for 
  Restricting Access, it was agreed that Milton Mueller, Paul Stahura and Jeffe 
  Neuman would work on a second questionnaire to go to the Registries and Registrars 
  on the issues involved with access to Whois (i.e., what the load is on our system, 
  costs, etc.) and what mechanisms they have used (or are out there) to restrict 
  b) Discuss draft at next meeting with goal of getting it out next week, 17 February.<br>
  <b>General Comment </b><br>
  a) Guidance was required from the GNSO Council on timelines. <br>
<p><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><b>Jeff Neuman thanked everyone for 
  their presence and participation and ended the call at 16:50 UTC.<br>
  </b> <b>Next call: Tuesday 17 February 2004, </b> <b>16:00 UTC, 11:00 EST, 8:00 
  Los Angeles, 17:00 CET.<br>

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>