ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow1tf]

Re: [dow1tf] Revised Final Questionnaire

  • To: <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [dow1tf] Revised Final Questionnaire
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 23:45:57 -0500
  • Cc: <dow1tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <roseman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-dow1tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jeff:

I still have a problem with Questions 8, and 9. As I pointed out before,
many respondents will have an obvious conflict of interest that
would lead them to answer that question in a way that
would reflect their own policy bias rather than the truth.

Look I don't want to pull rank here but I'm the only social scientist
on this committee. We have about 90 years of experience with
survey research, and volumes of scientific literature on how to do
these things right. This survey is being sent to a small number of
people, most of whom are fairly sophisticated about both
their use of whois data and the politics surrounding it. Asking them
whether they would "be able to use any other source" is nothing more
than fishing for a No answer from anyone who wants to retain the
status quo. Most respondents will know full well that if they say "Yes,
I can get it elsewhere" they are increases their chances of losing access
via port 43. That kind of a manipulated result is something I don't want
to be associated with.

On Q8 we should just ask them what other source they would use.
This is especially applicable to law enforcement. LEAs can use subpeonas,
bulk access and other mechanisms - perhaps more expensive, slower, less
convenient, but there ARE other mechanisms, and it's important to know
how expensive and inconvenient the alternatives are
rather than letting them pretend that there are no alternatives.

On Q9, we need to eliminate option "c) No other way to get the needed data"

Please let's do this right.

>>> "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx> 01/22/04 09:47PM >>>
All,

Enclosed is a revised draft of the questionnaire.

Please review this draft as soon as possible.  Once the text is approved, we
can then prepare the format for distribution to the nonmarketing contacts.

Thanks for all your help.

 <<whois-tf1-survey3.DOC>>

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Director, Law & Policy