ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow1tf]

[dow1tf] Question regarding Timelines

  • To: "'GNSO SECRETARIAT'" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [dow1tf] Question regarding Timelines
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:28:52 -0600
  • Cc: "'dow1tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <dow1tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-dow1tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Glen,

As per our conversation this morning, can you please forward on to the
Council.

Thanks.

*********

Dear GNSO Council,

I am writing to you as the Chair of Whois Task Force 1 in regards to
potential time lines to deliver our required reports.  Because our task
force, like the others, requires not only the drafting of reports, but also
the extensive analysis of a large amount of data (some existing, some new),
we are asking your advice with respect to the PDP process.  Under the PDP, I
believe each Task Force has only 35 days to deliver to the Council a "Final
Report".

However, during our call this morning, we all discussed this extremely
aggressive timeline and came to the conclusion that it would be more
realistic to be able to deliver to the Council a Preliminary Report at (or
just before) the ICANN meeting in Rome.  This would be well after the 35 day
limit imposed by the PDP.  Our milestones include:

1)  December 23, 2003:  Dissemination by ICANN of all WHOIS workshop
materials related to our specific issues and identification of non-marketing
groups that use Whois Data.
2)  January 5, 2004:  First draft of Notice to non-marketing groups
soliciting input on Task Force issues due to the Task Force
3)  January 6, 2004:  First draft of "needs and justifications" chart due
(compiled from pre-existing data)
4)  January 12, 2004:  Send out Notice to non-marketing groups on "needs and
justifications" for Whois data and for soliciting comments on "technical
measures adopted for preventing data mining"
5)  January 26, 2004:  Due date for comments from "non-marketing groups" and
"technical measures adopted for preventing data mining"
6)  February 1, 2004:  Constituency Statements due
7)  February 9, 2004:  Preliminary data due from ICANN, Registries and
Registrars on "changes to agreements" to implement technical measures
8)  March 1, 2004:  Completion of a Final Report.

We have already formed subgroups to tackle these issues and are well on our
way.  Even with the Holidays coming up, we still believe that is an
achievable timeline.

As you can see there are a number of deliverables that would make the 35 day
limit next to impossible to achieve.  Therefore, we would ask that you
consider allowing us to deliver the Preliminary Report in accordance with
the schedule above.

Thanks.

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Director, Law & Policy