ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

dow1-2tf

RE: [dow1-2tf] FW: WSJ.com - New Services Are Making It Easier To Hide Who Is Behind Web Sites

  • To: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [dow1-2tf] FW: WSJ.com - New Services Are Making It Easier To Hide Who Is Behind Web Sites
  • From: Marc Schneiders <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 20:28:31 +0200 (CEST)
  • Cc: "Steven J. Metalitz IIPA" <metalitz@xxxxxxxx>, <dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Paul Stahura <stahura@xxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for your observations. I do see your points. Let me make clear,
that I do not want to make registrars responsible for providing
accurate data to law enforcement agencies. What I intended was to
state that the law can always get to the registrant through e.g.
credit card details. If not from the registrar, then form the
reseller, credit card company or even further down the line.

This may seem a relatively long process, if some criminal offense is
committed. Then whois will not help, when serious crimes are at stake.
Those who commit crimes usually try hard to hide. So even a very
accurate and somewhat controlled whois will not help to get these
people. They will simply put in false whois data.  Which is now
possible, and will always be, just as there are false license plates,
false passports, and these are usually harder to fake than whois.

So, I do think it is a waste of time to try to make whois more
accurate to catch the bad guys. It won't work. Not even for the
slightly bad guys.

I suggest we go for another perspective: Why is it good to make sure
your whois data are accurate? Lots of reasons: Customers trust you; if
there is some legal issue over the domain, lawyers may contact you
easily and solve the problems without much costs; people can see where
you are, etc.

At the same time I'd like to leave to the registrant the decision HOW
MUCH INFO is available. Why could I not decide, that I don't mind that
people know schneiders.org is in Holland, and some means to contact
me over email, but my house address and my phone number, no?

Enforcing accurate whois will not stop or reduce crime. In fact a more
accurate whois may help crimes, like stalking.

Marc Schneiders