ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

dow1-2tf

RE: [dow1-2tf] RE: WSJ story re Whois and proxy services

  • To: "'Marc Schneiders'" <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Cade,Marilyn S - LGCRP" <mcade@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [dow1-2tf] RE: WSJ story re Whois and proxy services
  • From: Paul Stahura <stahura@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 09:00:44 -0700
  • Cc: "Steven J. Metalitz IIPA" <metalitz@xxxxxxxx>, dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is much like what ID Protect and similar services already do.
Instead of a web page, its email addresses that are rotated (they change
periodically such as every week so that spammers have more difficulty in
harvesting them) whereby the messages are forwarded to the registrant's
email address.  This idea would have the drawback that email is not used as
the input-message mechanism (a web page is used instead), but has the
benefit that messages cannot be sent by spammers because there would not
exist an email input (if I have it right).
The proxy services also do it (forward messages) for postal mail and phone
messages.