Re: [council] [CCWG-ACCT] Fwd: ICANN's US jurisdiction

  • To: McGrady Paul <policy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] [CCWG-ACCT] Fwd: ICANN's US jurisdiction
  • From: Rubens Kuhl <rubensk@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 02:59:03 -0200
  • Cc: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>, GNSO Council List <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Paul,

I'm a very distant observer in CCWG-Acct list but I still believe there is
latitude that WS1 allowed for WS2-Jurisdiction for discussing the jurisdiction
of ICANN contractual framework like the RAs and RAAs, even though not the
jurisdiction of ICANN itself, or PTI for that matter. And that is a
jurisdiction question that is keen to all GNSO groups: contracted parties would
like to have clearer jurisdiction definitions in their contracts, while others
would like to see more privacy-savvy jurisdictions in there so there is more
data protection to registrants, while others might prefer as they are, based on
a jurisdiction that is not much privacy-oriented, so they have more access to
registration data...

.. as for reopening ICANN's own jurisdiction, I have a peace pipe solution
which is to change ICANN's jurisdiction to the one where the last ICANN meeting
occurred, so every 4 months we have a new one and nobody gets jealous of it
because it will it not endure. Can we now move to the the contractual framework
jurisdiction discussion ? ;-)

Rubens