RE: [council] FW: Board reply letter on IGO/RC issues and proposal on IGO acronyms protection from the IGO "small group"

  • To: Johan Helsingius <julf@xxxxxxxx>, "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] FW: Board reply letter on IGO/RC issues and proposal on IGO acronyms protection from the IGO "small group"
  • From: Phil Corwin <psc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 11:17:08 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I would point out that neither the Board nor GAC has endorsed what the IGO
small group has proposed. As the cover letter states, " I am pleased to inform
you that the Board has been notified that the small group has reached consensus
on a proposal for a number of general principles and suggestions that it hopes
will be acceptable to the GAC and the GNSO. I attach that proposal to this
letter for the GNSO’s review.” This is the same small group of IGOs that has
been conspicuous in its absence from almost the entire established process in
which the GNSO-created WG examining CRP for IGOs has sought to provide greater
protection of their legitimate rights.

I would also point out that what the Proposal contains under point 2, Dispute
Resolution Mechanisms, is just two broad principles without any additional
detail. There is zero in the way of legal or other justification for the
position taken, and nothing in the way of proposed rules, procedures, or
suggested venues for the new and separate DRP they are seeking.  The first
principle has been effectively  addressed by the CRP WG and our report and
recommendations will clarify the ready means by which IGOs may establish
standing to use the UDRP and URS in a manner that shields any sovereign
immunity they believe they possess. The second principle has been fully
considered and mostly rejected by the WG, with one narrow element still under
final discussion.

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal

Virtualaw LLC

1155 F Street, NW