[council] Extra day

  • To: Council <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Extra day
  • From: Rubens Kuhl <rubensk@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 13:00:36 +0000
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Since there was not enough time during our wrap-session to discuss this, I'll
write my thoughts on this for Donna, Volker and the council to consider

I fully support Donna's position that we should reject this idea and focus most
days of a B meeting on policy. If ICANN is also doing outreach, those tracks
could run side-by-side instead of outreach taking an amount of days (even if
only 1) and leaving the others day to policy.

I also have to take exception with adding extra days; for those traveling from
distant regions, travel affordability is tied to booking flights and hotels
many months in advance. When days are added before or after a meeting, what
happens is that those that already booked end up either incurring in costs or
missing the added sessions. One of the good outcomes of the new meeting
strategy  was we committing to a fixed schedule, and this is now at risk.

Rubens