RE: [council] RE: Taking the Council's Temperature on Procedures for Consideration of 3rd Accountability Proposal

In regard to this--

        At the extreme end, a "meltdown scenario" would mean the sum of these
delays requires another extension of the IANA contract beyond 2016.  A new
administration         might terminate the transition, or put it on hold, or
restart the process with new requirements.

--I just want to note that the FY 15 Appropriations bill prohibited the NTIA
from spending a single penny to implement the IANA transition, and in January
2015 remarks at the State of the Net conference Secretary Strickling indicated
that the statutory language would indeed bar NTIA completion of the transition.

The short term Appropriations bill enacted in September 2015 extended the IANA
transition freeze through the end of its funding period -- which is this
Friday, December 11th.

It's not at all clear whether a long term funding bill will be agreed to by
Friday, which may necessitate another short term extender -- or a temporary US
government shutdown.

In any event, when a one year appropriations bill is finally enacted this month
it may continue the prohibition on the  IANA transition, and/or it may contain
the DotCom Act or some version thereof, or it may tie them together in some
way.

I don't know what the end result will be, but we should know by this weekend or
next week. I'm just pointing out that the NTIA transition freeze may be
continued by statute through September 30, 2016. That wouldn't necessarily
mean that the IANA contract would need to be extended through 2017, but it
could mean that the earliest transition date would be October 1, 2016.

Don't shoot the messenger ;-)

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW