From: Phil Corwin <psc@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:psc@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 6:52
To: Amr Elsadr <aelsadr@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:aelsadr@xxxxxxxxxxx>>, James Bladel
<jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
Cc: Volker Greimann
<vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>,
"jrobinson@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:jrobinson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>"
<jrobinson@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:jrobinson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>>, GNSO Council List
<council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: RE: [council] Intellectual Property Constituency Communication to
ICANN Regarding dotSUCKS

In answer to James, ICANN received a letter from Senate Commerce Committee
Chairman  Jay Rockefeller in March 2014 about .Sucks.

Press release is at
http://www.commerce.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=PressReleases&ContentRecord_id=b3eb5f23-0b85-49ac-85b2-1b81c3fb0db4&ContentType_id=77eb43da-aa94-497d-a73f-5c951ff72372&Group_id=4b968841-f3e8-49da-a529-7b18e32fd69d&MonthDisplay=3&YearDisplay=2014

Letter text is at
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/rockefeller-to-crocker-12mar14-en.pdf

Excerpt from the letter:

Approving "sucks", a gTLD with little or no public interest value, will have
the effect of undermining the credibility ICANN has slowly been building with
skeptical stakeholders.  Three companies - Donuts Inc., Momentous Corporation,
and Top Level Spectrum Inc. -have applied for this gTLD, claiming that it will
foster debate and benefit consumers.  I view it as little more than a predatory
shakedown scheme.  The business model behind this gTLD seems to be the
following: force large corporations, small businesses, non-profits, and even
individuals, to pay ongoing fees to prevent seeing the phrase "sucks" appended
to their names on the Internet.
… One applicant, for example, Vox Populi Registry, owned by the Canadian
company Momentous, has started soliciting defensive registrations before it has
even secured the right to operate the "sucks" gTLD. According to its website,
the company is accepting payments of $2,500 for trademark reservation, which
will rise to $25,000 during a 30-day sunrise period and remain at that level
annually for trademark owner. Vox Populi claims that the reduced $2,500 fee is
a bargain, saying that "Incurring registration fees of $25,000 in Sunrise is a
waiting game not worth the prize."

While Vox Populi has now reduced the sunrise registration fee to $2500
annually, rather than the $25,000 they stated a year ago, the concerns
expressed by the Senator were pretty much the same as those in the IPC letter.
ICANN did nothing in response last year, yet now has taken the unprecedented
step of asking two national regulators to opine on the legality of the pricing
and business model of the registry. What changed?

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW
Suite 1050