[council] EWG Report on gTLD Directory Services

  • To: GNSO Council List <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] EWG Report on gTLD Directory Services
  • From: Bret Fausett <bret@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 16:19:35 +0100
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I appreciate that we have a very full agenda for Wednesday’s meeting, which is
slotted into an impossibly short time two-hour time slot, but I’d like us to
briefly reflect on the report from the Expert Working Group on gTLD Directory
Services (EWG),
https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=40175189, during the
Item 2 Section of the Agenda ("Review focus areas and provide updates on
specific key themes / topics. Include review of Projects List and Action List").

Based on our discussion over the weekend and the presentations by the EWG here
in London, it seems clear that the Council eventually will be asked to look at
this report and possibly initiate a policy development process centered on it.
I don’t think we should take any action here in London, but perhaps we can use
the time between this meeting and the next to review the report, consult with
our constituencies, and think about putting together a drafting committee to
prepare options for the Council about possible next steps.

I know we had a presentation on this in Sunday’s session, but now we should
reflect on where this goes from here. I thought I would raise it now, so we can
give it some thought before the Council meeting. This ought to be a significant
undertaking, and I think we should consider whether, how and when it fits into
our current work schedule.

      Bret

--
Bret Fausett, Esq. • General Counsel, Uniregistry, Inc. •
http://www.uniregistry.link