[council] Re: Fake Renewal Notices

  • To: "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Re: Fake Renewal Notices
  • From: "Winterfeldt, Brian J." <brian.winterfeldt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 18:49:05 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Mason:

I have a few questions with respect to fake renewal notices on behalf of the
IPC, and I am hopeful you will be able to provide the Council with an update on
the matter at your convenience.

By way of background, here is what the Council's pending projects list most
recently provided:

At its meeting in July, the GNSO Council considered the report of the Fake
Renewal Notices DT (see
http://gnso.icann.org/issues/frn/fake-renewal-notices-updated-report-20jun12-en.pdf).
 On the recommendation of the RrSG, a number of alternative approaches are now
being pursued to address this issue, including working with ICANN Compliance,
reaching out to the relevant local authorities and considering whether it would
be appropriate to address this as part of the RAA negotiations. Mason Cole
provided a status update by email in February (see
http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/council/msg14235.html). The
Council will consider at its next meeting whether to close this project.

And your latest update was as follows:

You may recall that the council investigated a PDP but ultimately decided to
reserve resources for such a PDP for other work, since the matter could be
dealt with more effectively by registrars communicating to relevant law
enforcement (particularly in North America).  Since that time I have been
collecting from registrars examples of fake renewal notices, which I will
provide to the attorney that works with our SG -- she will help us submit them
to the FTC in the US and other relevant law enforcement and consumer protection
agencies.

I realize it's been a while since the council has been updated on this, but I
want to make sure we have as complete a case as possible when we approach the
authorities.  I anticipate doing so shortly and will of course update the
council when that step is complete.

My question is whether the RrSG was able to collect examples for fake renewal
notices and provide them to law enforcement agencies, as well as pursue
additional efforts on the matter.  Was there any report delivered on these
efforts?  And what specifically has been done to address fake renewal notices
or deceptive advertising practices from resellers?

We look forward to receiving an update from you on these inquiries.

Thank you,

Brian

Brian J. Winterfeldt
Head of Internet Practice
Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
2900 K Street NW, North Tower - Suite 200 / Washington, DC 20007-5118
p / (202) 625-3562 f / (202) 339-8244
brian.winterfeldt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:brian.winterfeldt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> /
www.kattenlaw.com<http://www.kattenlaw.com/>

CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: Pursuant to Regulations Governing Practice Before the
Internal Revenue
Service, any tax advice contained herein is not intended or written to be used
and cannot be used
by a taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on
the taxpayer.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This electronic mail message and any attached files contain information
intended for the exclusive
use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain
information that is
proprietary, privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under
applicable law.  If you
are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any viewing,
copying, disclosure or
distribution of this information may be subject to legal restriction or
sanction.  Please notify
the sender, by electronic mail or telephone, of any unintended recipients and
delete the original
message without making any copies.
NOTIFICATION:  Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP is an Illinois limited liability
partnership that has
elected to be governed by the Illinois Uniform Partnership Act (1997).